Skip to main content

Nothing to fear

Fear is your enemy.

It impedes your clear thinking and keeps you from achieving your goal – which in my case was deciding who and what I was.

If you are afraid to step out and actualize yourself, the frustration can keep you from being happy with your status as a crossdresser or trans person or whatever designation fits where you are on the gender spectrum. Fear will also keep some people from becoming the women they truly are.

Either way, fear will stunt your growth as a person.

I can’t blame anyone for having it as I was paralyzed by it for the longest time. Rather than face my gender issues head on, I avoided them and hoped they would go away on their own. I refused to give in to my feelings and the frustration slowly built until it all boiled over.

After guilt and shame, fear is your next major hurdle.

Eliminating my fear has freed me from entertaining any further thoughts of transition. It’s only when I allowed myself to be who I was that the uncertainty lifted. This is very important because in your state of fear and confusion you cannot think clearly or make a decision.

None of this is easy but it must be done because major evaluations must be made with a clear head. You may not be able to change your nature but you can embrace it and, in so doing, draw satisfaction from the way you are rather than fighting it.

If I can do it you can too because I came from so far back and with so much baggage. If you are a young person today you would likely have faced much less indoctrination than I did. My fear kept me in a state of perennial dissatisfaction, which only increased my level of doubt about what I should do.

For the longest I was fighting only myself and my own biases about what a male was permitted to do. I was my own worst enemy and simply accepting and embracing the fact that, for whatever reason, I enjoy wearing women’s clothes and going out in public was a panacea to me. I don’t need to dissect and understand this to be able to just enjoy the merits that this brings me.

My message is simple: don’t be afraid to be yourself. As long as you are not hurting others, have the courage to be who you are even if you aren’t liked, understood or appreciated by everyone in society.

Comments

  1. Dear Joanna,
    I have borne this feeling of being female since preschool. And because my ultimate authority @ the time, my Mother, told me in no uncertain tones and terms that little boys can't be little girls, I learned fear, shame, and guilt, that I could not be what I felt myself to be.
    It has only been the past few years that I have been able to somewhat accept myself as I am. I would like to thank you for your insightful, and helpful words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand only too well Pat of what you speak. My pleasure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally with you hear Joanna.

    Monica M

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

prejudice disguised as objective rectitude

So here is Professor Jordan Peterson perhaps justly calling out the excesses of political correctness gone mad. But then he extends it to not indulging transgender people the basic dignity of being addressed in their preferred pronoun. To do so for him would cost nothing and to stand on literal principle seems to serve little use other than to send a message of disdain.

If you have transitioned or even live as the opposite gender is costs me nothing to address you in your preferred pronouns. What difference does it make to me and what am I trying to tell you when I don't?

Peterson wants to stand on his rights to call reality what it is except that in this case the exact objective escapes me. But of course the right wing Federalist is in love with him because he calls a spade a spade.

If I see a rock I can call it that but then the rock doesn’t have any feelings. To address a transgender woman "her" and "she" is not undermining my rights as a person in any way b…

looking past cross gender arousal

Jack’s latest Crossdreamers post got me thinking about cross gender arousal and how it could be avoided; also whether it even matters. This with particular focus on the inability to relate of someone on the outside looking in.

You see, sexuality is a very complicated thing to begin with and when you then add gender identity ambiguity it becomes a recipe to really confuse someone.

So imagine that you are a little boy who identifies as a girl but then along comes puberty and short circuits everything by having the sex you identify with also be the sex you are attracted to. For in essence this is what happens to all all male to female gender dysphoric trans persons who are attracted to women.

So I ask myself: can I imagine a scenario where this inherent contradiction would not produce sexual confusion? The answer is that I cannot.

I am in the unique position, like many of you, to have experienced an early identification with the feminine become sexualized later on. This brought confusion…

"Oh please its 2016!"

I have mentioned before that I have a lovely young couple living above the unit next to mine. Well the other day as I was getting in the door, she and I overlapped for the first time with me dressed as a woman.

We had a nice conversation and at some point I mentioned the obvious which was that I had told her future husband that they might see me in a different guise from time to time so they wouldn't wonder about who the strange woman was. She just looked at me almost rolling her eyes while smiling from ear to ear and said:

"Oh Please it's 2016!"

For the record she was also very complementary regarding my choice of attire.

I could care less at this point in my life what people think but it is still lovely to see the millennial generation's freedom of spirit and acceptance so lacking in previous generations. Yes they have their own foibles, as does every generation, but this area certainly isn't one of them.