Monday, 9 January 2017

gender expression deprivation anxiety

I have spoken before of Anne Vitale’s wonderfully descriptive phrase “gender expression deprivation anxiety” because this is exactly what I suffered from most of my life and I thought I would round out my last two posts with another tip of the hat to her.

When I first saw this descriptor in one of Anne’s articles I couldn’t believe how one phrase could so eloquently capture the experience of a transgender person denying themselves the right to be who they are.

Gender expression outside accepted norms may not be conventional but it is hardly the stuff of headlines anymore. Thailand even has a popular show on television where some young men dress and compete as women called “Diary of a Tootsie”. The idea is good fun but such a show would never have seen the light of days twenty years ago.

Denying yourself that natural inclination can even be threatening to your mental health because the stress builds and builds and, those of us who are bordering on the transsexual side of the spectrum, need that outlet all the more.

I didn’t think this basic right was open to me because I simply drank society's Kool-Aid and didn’t question things. But be sure that in denying yourself the dignity to treat your dysphoria is tantamount to causing your own suffering.

If you have never been to Anne Vitale’s site it is certainly worth a visit to be sure…

http://www.avitale.com/


3 comments:

  1. Great and timely reminder to revisit Dr. Vitale's site. I had been there before and for whatever reason didn't pick up on the wealth of information she provides. I just finished reading her FAQ page; very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like her because she is so clear about how hard gender dysphoria can be. I suspect she has helped many therapists get a better grip on the complexity and diversity of transgender lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading her work and she has helped me quite a lot in my reflection as a trans person.

      Delete